Safely Operating Cranes Around Powerlines Remains Important Lesson
A recent tragedy of crane operation around powerlines highlights the need for companies and employees to be trained to the current OSHA standard (29 CFR Part 1926).
Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association, SC&RA’s Operating Cranes Around Powerlines course is available as an easy-to-use online learning module. This 20-minute course provides a visual demonstration of safe operating procedures in accordance with OSHA’s requirements for mobile cranes near and around power lines to be used during training and the planning process. The companion booklet is included.
The Operating Cranes Around Powerlines course covers:
- What to consider when planning the assembly or disassembly of a crane near a power line;
- Precautions to take when operating a crane near a power line;
- Where to post warnings;
- Encroachment prevention measures and options;
- When to use a spotter as well as alternative measures to spotters;
- When operations can take place under a power line;
- Smaller than minimum clearance distances;
- Required safety meetings and procedures;
- Working near transmitter communication towers;
- OSHA’s training requirements.
To get your employees up-to-speed with safe operations around powerlines, visit SC&RA’s online Training Center.